What we don't use:
When you eat something, the enzymes in your saliva and stomach help to break it down and flush it out of your body. However, when you put these chemicals on your skin, they are absorbed straight into your bloodstream without filtering of any kind, going directly to your delicate organs.
In 2004, a six-month study was carried out about personal care product use. More than 10,000 body care product ingredients were evaluated, involving 2,300 participants.
One of the findings was that the average adult uses nine personal care products each day, containing 126 different chemicals. The study also found that more than 250,000 women, and one out of every 100 men, use an average of 15 products daily. These products can include ingredients such as:-
Reasons why we don't use:
Here is the A-Z list of the 20 most common petrochemicals used in personal care products:
- Alcohol, isopropyl (SD-40) - A very drying and irritating solvent and dehydrator that strips your skin’s natural acid mantle, making us more vulnerable to bacteria, moulds and viruses. It is made from propylene, a petroleum derivative. It may promote brown spots and premature aging of skin.
- Ammonium - Toxic, carcinogenic
- Benzoates - Implicated in wide variety of health problems including testicular cancer, cell mutation and other cancers.
- Benzoyl peroxide - Produces tremendously dangerous free radical in the skin increases the chances of cancer. It also causes over-drying of the skin. FDA has now changed the safety rating of benzoyl peroxide from category I to category III.
- BHA and BHT - Encourages the breakdown of vitamins such as vitamin d, can cause lipid and cholesterol levels to increase, endocrine disruptor, toxic
- DEA - ingredients All ingredients with DEA after the first word such as concamid-dea, cause cancer. These chemicals are already restricted in Europe due to known carcinogenic effects.
- Fragrances - Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many toxic or carcinogenic. Clinical observation proves fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, and irritability.
- Hydroquinone - Toxic, irritants, hydroquinone has been shown to cause leukemia in mice and other animals. The European Union banned it from cosmetics in 2001. Can cause hyper-pigmentation
- Lanolin - Any chemicals used on sheep will contaminate the lanolin obtained from the wool. The majority of lanolin used in cosmetics is highly contaminated with chlorinated organo pesticides like DDT.
- Laureth family ( sodium lauryl sulfate) - most ingredients with laureth or lauryl in the name- make sure you research the particular name) Carcinogenic, skin irritants may be contaminated with large amounts of toxins in manufacturing process contains ammonium salts, mutagen, acne and dermatitis producing and hair loss
- PEG, polyethylene, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene - Potentially carcinogenic petroleum ingredient that can alter and reduce the skin’s natural moisture factor. This could increase the appearance of aging and leave you more vulnerable to bacteria. Used in cleansers to dissolve oil and grease. It adjusts the melting point and thickens products. Also used in caustic spray-on oven cleaners.
- Parabens – (methyl, propyl, etc, paraben family) - Implicated in a multitude of health problems, estrogenic, cancer causing, allergenic, found in breast tissue, replicates in dna, stored in fat cells
- Petrochemicals (paraffin, mineral oil, petroleum, petrolatum, vaseline) - Coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores, slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging, acne producing, may be carcinogenic, causes dry skin, respiratory toxin, may cause dizziness, any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH ( polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons)
- Phenol Carbolic Acid - Can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma, and even death.
- Pythalates (look for your plastics - squeeze bottles, soft plastics) carcinogens, mutation agents, stored fat cells
- Propylene/butylene glycol - Is a petroleum derivative, penetrates the skin very quickly and causes contact dermatitis, skin irritations, acne, allergies, the EPA considers PG so toxic that it warns against skin contact to prevent consequences such as brain, liver and kidney abnormalities, and can also weaken protein & cellular structure
- Octyl stearate - Acne producing, contact dermatitis, allergic reactions
- Silicone derived emollients – dimethicone copolyol, cyclomethicone etc… Occlusive – that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.)
- TEA ingredients (not tea, but rather ingredients with TEA in front such as Tea lauryl sulfate) - Severe irritants, can contain ammonium slats, eye irritant, sensitizers, highly acidic. Over 40% of cosmetics containing Triethanolamine (TEA), have been found to be contaminated with nitrosamines, which are potent carcinogens.
- Toluene - May appear on ingredients labels as phenylmethane, methylbenzene, or toluol and is found in nail products
Article Contributed By
Organic Natural Beauty Directory Founder To get notified of new articles….
Makes you think doesn't it?!!!!